Office etiquettes act as engine oil which smoothens the wheels of daily interaction within office. It is important to obey good manners and proper office etiquette while working in office. We need to understand that the way we work or talk on phone is different at home and in office, as we share office with others so we need to be careful and respectful.
While we are in office we automatically are part of diverse groups, with different background, values and beliefs, sharing the same workplace. A pleasant work atmosphere improves productivity and everyone loves to work in such kind of atmosphere.
It is important to remember that workplace is public environment where certain level of decorum is to be maintained. Some basic things which we need to keep in mind while at work;
One of the basic rule of any organization is to be Punctual. We should always try to stick to office timings.
Maintain a certain physical distance. While talking to senior, we should maintain a healthy distance and hands should be folded back. And while talking to junior, a proper eye contact should be developed.
- Religious, political and personal topics should be avoided.
- Show respect to people around you.
- We should always dress properly. If we lack concern towards our dressing then that can be interpreted as disrespect for colleagues and clients.
- Once we are in office we should tone down our pitch and we should speak in a very polite way so that it does not disturb other coworkers.
- While we are in a meeting, chance should be given to everyone to speak and express their views.
- We should follow proper phone etiquettes:
- We should always keep our phones on silent mode or atleast on vibration mode
- For any personal calls, we should use cabins
- If we receive any official calls, then we should answer phone with warmth and enthusiasm
- We should make of habit of carrying our business card for business meetings as well for social gatherings
- We should always keep our desk neat and tidy and clutter free.
- Co-workers privacy should be respected.
- We should avoid loud conversations.
- Avoid chewing gums in meetings.