What is Artificial Intelligence? It is a technology that enables systems to think like Humans. It is a technology that allows performing tasks based on previously collected data. Artificial intelligence soon becoming the foundation of innovation in this era. The term AI is often interchangeably used with Machine Learning and Deep Learning, however, there are differences. Machine learning is an AI however all the AI are not Machine Learning. Uwe Hohgrawe, lead faculty for Northeastern’s Master of Professional Studies in Analytics program explains that “we as humans see the information in front of us and use our intelligence to conclude. Machines are not intelligent, but we can make them appear intelligent by feeding them the right information and technology.” Most companies have started using Artificial Intelligence to improve performance and productivity by automating tasks. For example, Netflix uses Machine Learning to provide a level of personalization that helped the company grow by 25% just last year.
AI as technology defines new ways of operating the business, creating an impact across multiple functions. One such eg. is the Human Resource one of the most important functions in the organization (especially in the age of the great resignation). Directly associated with the team members working in the organization here is where AI as a technology is defining new ways to operate the business. It is a tool that can be utilized and automate low-value HR functions so that focus is shifted toward strategic ones. AI is turning into our best friend for HR enabling us to deliver better and faster results.
Some of the key applications of AI in Human Resource Functions could be:
1. Talent Acquisition
Talent acquisition is the base of the HR function as it involves bringing in new talent to the team which will lead to the potential growth and expansion of the organization. Effective recruitment is very important to the modern business. During the process of recruitment, AI can be used in various forms like;
- Designing easy forms for job applicants to complete
- Initial screening of the candidates based on inputs Like Experience, Education, and Willingness to relocate
- Maintain the entire database of the candidates
- Analyze the existing pool of candidates and analyze the candidates which are fit for the new position which is being opened
- Arranging interviews
- The potential candidates can be traced and contacted via AI-driven Chatbots
By utilizing these ways, the hiring process would be shortened and much more time would be saved, which will allow the HR team to focus on other critical tasks which will enhance an organization’s productivity.
Onboarding is one of the critical processes because it is the experience that a new joiner gets from the organization. It is an impression that team members will always remember. Some of the ways where AI can help HR enhance the onboarding process efficiently are:
- AI consolidated systems will help new joiners to understand company culture, Values, and other important information related to the organization
- AI will help to automate the administrative work like Form filling, login creation, etc.
- Digital assistants using AI can improve the entire onboarding process by guiding the new entrant in the team by proactivity suggesting the next steps so that the entire process is ramped up quickly
- It can recommend to new joiners any learning course matching his/her skill set till the project allocation is completed to the new joiner
3. Team member Experience
Artificial Intelligence technology can help conduct various employee engagement tasks like; Personalized Feedback Surveys, Real-Time feedback, Employee recognition systems, etc. Based on these programs HR can evaluate team members’ satisfaction and/or their involvement more accurately than before. Through these programs, HR can even be able to predict team member who is likely to resign and that would help the HR team apply retention strategies proactively and thus reducing attrition.
Team members’ experience can be increased by deploying AI-driven chatbots to provide real-time answers to the team members. Team members can simply type their queries and the chatbot will reply with the answer. This can be done for Frequently asked questions, Basic Benefits.
4. Career Development
In the current volatile market, organizations must retain their talent and this strategic approach should be used one of the vital factors would be career development. Team members should be offered different learning and development programs that are beneficial for the individual and as well as for the organization as well. A few ways where AI would help in the career development of the team members are as under:
- AI-driven software can recommend personalized courses to the team members that require the business and will also boost the morale of the team member
- AI can collect data for each team member for his/her performance. This data can be reviewed and specific skills gaps can be identified if any. For such cases clarity can be given to the team members and based on it necessary training or learning programs can be suggested. This will in turn encourage learnings in the team
Given the aforesaid AI in HR will improve employee productivity and help HR professionals to boost the overall experience starting from the recruitment process until the team member is onboarded and even after that. AI would help to earn time back by automating the low-value tasks and focusing on business-driven initiatives.