Artificial Intelligence has come a long way in recent years, with advancements in machine learning and natural language processing leading to the development of intelligent conversational agents. Among these agents is ChatGPT, a large language model trained by OpenAI, based on the GPT-3.5 architecture, which is revolutionizing AI in various ways. On Jan 23, while speaking at the Future Ready Tech Summit in Bangalore, Satya Nadella, CEO, Microsoft, demonstrated the power of this innovative AI-powered conversational agent that uses natural language processing to engage in intelligent conversations with humans.
ChatGPT's history began in 2018 with the release of OpenAI's first language model, GPT-1. In 2019, OpenAI released GPT-2, a more advanced language model capable of producing far more complex and cohesive writing. Finally, in 2020, ChatGPT was introduced as a language model built exclusively for conversational applications. It can be used in a range of applications, including chatbots, customer service, and virtual assistants, and can produce natural language responses to user inputs.
ChatGPT saw million plus users in the first week of its launch. Microsoft itself is the lead investor and Open AI has raised upwards of USD 11 BN dollars so far and is now valued at around USD 29 BN. Considering these facts, it can be said that ChatGPT has created a big storm in the AI market. It has gained popularity to such an extent that some news reports have come forward to state that google has issued code red to assess and address the risks associated with ChatGPT’s popularity.
The majority of people are of the opinion that ChatGPT will change the world. To know how I asked the question to ChatGPT and here is a response:
As an AI language model, my role is to assist and support humans in various tasks and activities. My purpose is to provide accurate and reliable information, and to process vast amounts of data in a way that is beyond the capabilities of humans. While I cannot change the world on my own, I can help humans make better decisions and solve complex problems. My potential impact lies in developing new technologies that have the power to revolutionize various industries and improve people's lives, such as self-driving cars, medical diagnosis systems, and environmental monitoring tools. To ensure that AI is developed in an ethical and responsible manner, it is crucial to make its benefits accessible to all people, regardless of their background or socioeconomic status.
To know the power of ChatGPT, I further experimented. My wife and I were on a Netherlands tour in the summer and I thought of trying ChatGPT out before calling my time-tested travel agency. I asked a few travel-related questions to ChatGPT and, to my surprise, it answered all my questions quite efficiently and promptly. It provided me with a 4-day itinerary, recommended places and areas to stay, suggested places to see, and calculated the average price per day for availing premium airlines, and Airbnb during my stay. Not to lie, it honestly helped me plan my trip seamlessly.
The world has so far tested the power of search engines- predominantly google. People loved using google for its easy interface, and its ability to offer relevant information quickly. However, with the advent of ChatGPT, things have changed slightly. While ChatGPT does not provide multiple results to choose from, it offers to-the-point information to its users. ChatGPT can prove to be of huge importance across various industry verticals. Following are some ways in which ChatGPT can help:
- Content Creation: ChatGPT can help executives write content for various campaigns, proposals, blogs, articles, websites etc. With its ability to comprehend and process natural language, ChatGPT can analyse enormous amounts of data and offer insights that would otherwise be difficult to obtain. It has the ability to research various topics and create relevant content on the basis of the information obtained for a number of industries like education, healthcare, etc.
- Customer Service: Like Chatbots, we can use ChatGPT as a customer service agent. It can perhaps bring knowledge from both inside and outside world together while answering customer questions. Businesses can automate their customer service with ChatGPT, enabling customers to receive prompt and accurate answers to their questions. By offering quick and effective service, ChatGPT can not only help businesses save time and money but also improve customer experience.
- Travel and Hospitality: ChatGPT is excellent at curating ternaries, sharing local knowledge, and answering queries regarding travel and stay. Trip.com has launched a ChatGPT-based feature on their app to help customers make more informed decisions.
- Improving Software Code/Skill: Many software developers are trying their hands on writing or validating software code using ChatGPT. Coders can interact with ChatGPT using natural language and ask for help with a coding or debugging issue. ChatGPT can provide solutions to problems, suggest resources and even provide explanations to help coders understand the concepts better.
- Accuracy and Consistency: Many users observed that generative AI may not be correct in responding to certain types of questions logically and it sometimes responds in a manner that may make sense. ChatGPT's responses can vary in quality and consistency depending on the complexity of the input it receives. Some responses may be accurate and helpful, while others may be less relevant or even nonsensical.
- Real-time Information and Location: Since the current version of ChatGPT is largely using past data sets, it cannot provide real-time information or location-sensitive information in its answers.
- The Threat of Job Loss: Any new revolution in technology stirs the marketplace. Many users believe that ChatGPT will result in a layoff amongst employees who are particularly in the field of content creation or customer service.
- Biases and Ethics: Like any machine learning model, ChatGPT can be biased, particularly towards the data it has been trained on. If the training data includes biased information or language, then ChatGPT may reproduce or amplify these biases in its responses.
- Deepfakes and Synthetic Media: A simple google search offers huddles of fun-deepfake apps. These apps can create videos and pictures using faces of different people, personalities etc. A YouTube handle CtrlShiftFace lists such examples. Users should be careful of how deepfake technology can be used for the wrong propaganda.
In summary, ChatGPT is a powerful tool that has revolutionised the way we interact with technology. Its advanced natural language processing capabilities make it an ideal solution for chatbots, language translation, and more. ChatGPT can understand and interpret human language, adapt to different contexts and domains, and learn and improve over time. While there are still some limitations and challenges to address, ChatGPT will undoubtedly play an increasingly important role in the way we communicate with each other and with our devices. We encourage readers to explore the possibilities of ChatGPT and try it out for themselves. Overall, ChatGPT is an exciting development in the field of natural language processing, and we look forward to seeing how it will continue to transform the way we interact with technology.