It has been a few months since the COVID-19 pandemic, but the uncertainties still loom large. While unlocks have been initiated in a few areas, the work from home (WFH) situation continues, with no certainty when we can go back to normal. The increased amount of time spent indoors may have a toll on your mental, emotional, and physical well-being, and has also thrown work-life situation off-balance.
Many researchers have found an increase in anxiety and fatigue, given the current uncertainties. To help you regain focus and adapt to the new normal, here are a 5 Es we recommend to help you stay calm and manage your work and life at home efficiently:
- Distractions; by creating an allocated workspace. Clean it, and design it to your preference
- Negativity; by carving a fixed time for reading magazines, newspapers, watching TV, or social media consumption
Since the lockdown, there has been an increase in information consumption, as we are more likely to spend time on our smartphones and other devices. To eliminate distractions and get rid of negativity, we recommend considering a Digital Detox, which can help you bring some positive changes in your life. Read more about the how, what, and why of digital detox at: https://blog.e-zest.com/digital-detox-what-why-and-how
- Plan your tasks daily
- Think of the critical items that need to be done for the week; prioritize your activities accordingly
- Estimate based on realistic timelines and speak with your manager on expectations; do not underestimate or overestimate a task as this could end up demotivating you
While planning your day, it is essential to estimate and plan your day correctly to make sure you are on-track and positive about your professional life. And to help you make plan your day like a pro, here are a few books that can help you enhance your productivity: https://blog.e-zest.com/books-to-enhance-your-productivity
Engage & Empathize
Communication is the biggest challenge in a remote work environment, especially on tasks that require a collaborative effort. To stay engaged and work as a team, we recommend:
- Daily Standup Call
- Availability on a particular channel for communication; this could be Skype, WhatsApp, Microsoft Teams, or others
- Escalate issues or roadblocks timely
- Speak up when necessary, and as a leader, encourage participation from your team
- Connect and empathize with your colleagues; schedule time outside of work to interact. A virtual coffee meet with your team is something to try out!
To help you make this communication effective, here are a few apps we recommend to help you communicate and manage your quarantine life easy: https://blog.e-zest.com/20-apps-to-make-quarantine-life-easier
- Limit your time in front of the screen; take regular breaks
- Step out but with proper precautions; go for a short walk to feel relaxed
- Exercise regularly; prioritize time for yourself before and after your work hours
While physical exercise is highly recommended, mental well-being is equally essential. The right balance of good habits can help you stay fit, productive, and energized. So here are a few ways to look after your well-being at home: https://blog.e-zest.com/how-to-look-after-your-well-being-the-work-from-home-guide
The boundaries between personal life and work-life have thinned, but that doesn’t mean you forget having a zest for life. Spend time with your family, enjoy doing what you love, rediscover your hobbies, or take time out to relax. Despite the uncertainties and pressure of day-to-day life, having fun should never stop.
If you are looking for some ideas to help you get started, here are some tips to bring the outside experience home and have a gala time: https://blog.e-zest.com/covid-19-bringing-outside-experiences-home
We hope these tips help you to manage your work from home to be productive and relaxing. We, with every e-Zestian, the best of health and remember to take all the right precautions. Stay home and stay safe!